It is the start of the week and I have finally decided to change my story. I understand it may be a little too late and rushed now, but I had could not continue with my previous story anymore as there were many areas I could not cope in regarding the execution, the storytelling and a few other factors. Most importantly, I wanted to create a story based on my own storytelling instead of following strictly to the incidents that happened. Although I understand that even if I follow strictly, I have the freedom to the shots sizes angles and character personification, I still wanted something more I could call my own.
At the start of the lesson, Alan wanted us to submit our learning contracts before class began and he showed us stop motion of Wallace and Gromit. It was really entertaining.
However, the main purpose of showing us the animations were for us students to analyze the storytelling of the animated film. The planning of the angles, shot sizes and precise timing play a huge role in creating a smooth flow which helps the audience understand the story and be able to feel for and catch the humor as shown in the film. Thus, to be able to achieve these, you need to be very precise in your planning and that’s where the storyboards come into play. Each music and shot conveys a certain emotion sends a different message to its audiences.
Thus, the first step to a successful animation lies in the storyboarding, as a mere mistake due to poor planning can be disastrous. Hope I am able to go somewhere close.
Through the films, there were some useful pointers I learnt in character design too. The creators quoted that to give your characters a personality, it has to be built up well and does not have to be too extravagant or straight in your face. For example, to show a mysterious penguin, the creator gave the character a look without emotions and sleek body movements to go with it to show it’s mysteriousness and he behaves in this way so as not to give away anything.
At this point, I realized that the creators have given a mindset unique to each of his characters. As for the Main character who is gullible and naïve, shows all his emotions blatantly and acts more clumsily. I am amazed that so many thoughts can be portrayed from such short timeframe.
We had an enjoyable time and received many useful tips too. After that, I had to present my new idea to the class to see if they buy the story. Not everyone was convinced, especially Mr. Alan, though I am thankful for the chance given and apologize for taking up everyone’s time.
I am still rushing my storyboards and learning contract now, but I really hope I can manage to convince everyone of my new story.
I shall continue my work now. That’s all for today. (:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment